Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Great Divorce

Generally speaking, whenever I first introduce myself to a journalism professor, the first question is: "What is your major?" And when I reply "Journalism and English," they always ask me, "Are you Strat-Comm (strategic communication) or News & Info?"

While there is a noticeable difference between the two, there are also similarities.

One of my journalism professors, who tends to teach more on the Strat-Comm side, always said that a well-written press release could almost be re-printed as a news story (with a few touch-ups).

And, today, I got to see where the line between those two realms of marketing and reporting becomes blurred.

Each of the three stories I followed today seemed to "promote" an event or a product.

I even noticed that the information sheets, which we were given for the details on the locations and contact people for our stories, were actually press releases.

The first story I followed was a new exhibit that I had heard advertised on the radio the past few days.

As we were driving to this story, I was talking to the photographer about the coolest things he had ever done while working for KAKE. He was telling me how ABC paid for him to fly out to L.A. and film some "behind-the-scenes" packages to promote "Dancing with the Stars."

"Honestly, it took them maybe $2,000 dollars to fly me out there and back," he said. "It would cost way less than that for them to buy advertising for their show. And we ran about five packages with all of the film that I got."

As interesting as the story was, it only got a little bit of air time, and I wondered if it was really worth it. For the station, perhaps. It wasn't the most newsworthy story of the day, but I'm sure that some people appreciated seeing it. After all, hearing it advertised on the radio can only do so much -- seeing video of it and hearing more details makes it more tangible.

But, for the exhibit organizers, it was definitely beneficial -- perhaps, even, free advertising?

It could certainly seem so, since, as I saw, the person who had sent us the memo about the exhibit was the marketing director.

The other two stories I followed were slightly more newsworthy, but also seemed to be "promoting" things.

So, as I continue in my second week of internship, I grow wary of this blurred line between advertisement and news. Which is which? Is there really a difference?

Of course, just as there is a difference in motives, there is a difference between "persuasive" speech and "informative" speech.

I don't think KAKE is trying to do any free advertising.

However, when my news stories and advertisements start sounding very similar, I think there will be a cause for concern.

Until that day comes, I think I'll stick with News & Information as my journalism emphasis.

No comments:

Post a Comment